Tuesday 29 May 2012

First Post! & The Summer Before School

I would like to welcome everyone for taking the time to take a look at my blog :D. Once school starts up I will try to post once a week on Fridays. I hope this will give the inside scoop of what PA education looks like and will interest a few of you to move onto the PA path.  I hope when the interest in this blog increases so will the awareness of PAs in Canada. My goal is for everyone to have at least an idea or have heard of the term Physician Assistant. Let's make that happen! 

Okay Down to Business 


The Summer Before School  

A few weeks after we were accepted into the program there were a few things that needed to be done.

• Criminal records and child abuse check – done

• Application to College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM) Education - done
This was very exciting but registration is expensive. It is a governing body to Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba – just like the name says :). Once registered you receive a number which stays with you throughout your practice. It keeps track of who your patients are. This is needed before you start the program at Manitoba.
 
• BOOKS – summer reading

a) Medical Terminology: A Systems Approach.  (sixth edition by Gylys) – Of which there will be an evaluation of our knowledge during orientation week. :S

The books below were the courses that students found the most difficult. The premise is the more we review during the summer the easier it would be during the year. My first thought when I opened the book, “This is not ridiculously simple at all, not even just simple.” :P

b) Clinical Pharmacology made ridiculously simple by Olson

c) Clinical Pathophysiology made ridiculously simple by Berkowitz 

So the question is how much should I study?
I’ve asked some past students and have asked this on forums. The consensus was to spend as much time as possible with your friends and family because once school starts you will disappear. This made me a excitedly nervous. 
 
So what will I do this summer?
I will go over the entire medical terminology book and will lightly read the rest. But knowing myself I might get keen.

No comments:

Post a Comment