Sunday 15 September 2013

END OF FIRST ROTATION - Emerge


The first rotation was a big leap. It felt like I dove into the deep end and had to either sink or swim. There were moments of splashing about and close calls. Overall I think I still have my head or at least my nose above water managing to breathe. Here are a few things that I was able to do, see and diagnose. 

PROCEDURES



  • Sutured including injecting local anesthetic – sutured a few times on the fingers and the face :S It went well :)

  • Observed incision and drainage of an abscess

  • Observed code blues – including CPR and epinephrine administration

  • Observed cardioversion – when a shock is given to a patient with fast arrhythmia of the heart in atrial fib/flutter and ventricular tachycardia. 

  • Observed thoracentesis – removing fluid in the lung

  • Observed lumbar puncture – collecting spinal fluid from the spine

  • Assisted in intubation – the doctor inserted a guide wire with the laryngoscope and I inserted the endotracheal tube. Also used a bag-valve-mask to help with a patients breathing.

  • Observed a central line being inserted 

  • Assisted in reductions of different broken or dislocated bones such as the shoulder and wrist  with conscious sedation and assisted in casting

  • Assisted in removal of a foreign body in the ear

  • Observed packing of epistaxis (nosebleed) 

DIAGNOSIS I SAW/DIAGNOSED


Diverticulitis
Radiculopathy
Pulmonary Embolism
Hernia
Prostatitis
Fractures – Coles, ankle, hip, hand
Lacerations – fingers, chin, eyebrow
Seizures
Chicken pox
Kidney Stones
UTI
Mono
Strep throat
Vertigo
Muscle strain
Impetigo
Eye ulcer
MI (myocardial infarction – heart attack)
TIA (transient ischemic attack – “mini strokes”)

COMMON COMPLAINTS

Abdominal pain
Back pain
Sore throat
Chest pain
Shortness of Breath
General weakness
Minor complaints-       unspecified



There are more things I’ve seen and done but these are the first things that come to mind. I did take a picture of my first prescription for diverticulitis. I just wrote down what the doctor told me to :) 

My First time writing a prescription dictated from the doctor :P
  
Last shift in emerge is on Tuesday then off to our first academic day. My next rotation in Orthopedics starts on Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment