Sunday 6 October 2013

ROTATION #2 - ORTHOPEDICS


ORTHOPEDICS
 Another rotation has ended. This one was a tiring rotation. It consisted of long hours and overnight call shifts.  

My drawing interpretation of the team. Me with a few tall dudes :)
TYPICAL DAY IN ORTHO

6:45 am – The ortho team meets up and discuss any new consults that had come overnight or any issues with current patients on the ward

7:00am – We start morning rounds

9:00am - The rest of the day is filled with either outpatient clinics or consults from emerge or in hospital wards.

For every consult and patient we saw in clinic we always checked if the patient was neurovascularly intact in the area that they had surgery or injury to. Here are the nerves that we tested

UPPER EXTERMITY (HAND)
NERVE
SENSORY
MOTOR
Radial
1st dorsal webspace
Wrist extension
Medial
Index finger
Thumb Abduction
Ulnar
Lateral of 5th finger
Finger Abduction
AIN (branch of median)
N/A
A okay sign
PIN (branch of radial)
N/A
Thumbs up

LOWER EXTERMITY (FOOT)
NERVE
SENSORY
MOTOR
Deep peroneal
1st dorsal webspace
Dorsiflexion
Superficial peroneal
Dorsal foot
Eversion
Tibial
Plantar surface
Plantar flexion
Sural
Lateral malleolus
N/A
Saphenous
Medial malleolus
N/A

 4:30pm – sign over to the overnight on-call ortho team.

ORTHO SURGERY

Similar x-rays I would see on outpatient clinics
I did have a chance to scrub into a few surgeries. Of course it was embarrassing not knowing all the rules in the OR but I was able to do some cauterization, suction and cutting sutures to help the surgeon. There was also a lot of holding limbs to get a proper angle to drill or screw. I do like the OR but I realized that I’m not a big fan of drills, hammers or screws. I guess that makes sense since I don’t like doing any of that at home :P



FIRST OVERNIGHT CALL SHIFT

my call room :S - took some time to get used to
After the day shift you stay the night at the hospital. As an intern you have a resident with you so you are not alone. 

4:30 to 11:30 pm – Sitting and waiting not knowing what I should do, if I should eat or go to the washroom. :P
12:00 am – got a consult
1:00am – found the on call room a dark gloomy room with a bed and no windows
3:00am – couldn’t sleep because I was freezing in bed
3:15am – got a call for a consult in emerge
4:30am – back to the on call room to get a nap in
6:00am – started morning rounds

9:30am – At home exhausted. Slept until 5:00pm

SUMMARY OF THE THINGS I DID/SAW

How to manage open fractures
Tibia/fibula fracture
Radial dislocations/fractures
Pelvic fractures
Reductions with hematoma blocks
Reductions with conscious sedation
Aspiration of a joint – I was able to do an aspiration on the wrist
Removal of a cast
Assisted in application of back slabs and casts
Post-operative follow ups
Removed staples / stitches
Wound care/management
Reading X-rays
Removal of a drain – hemivac

Overall Orthopedics was a fun rotation. I learned a lot on how the hospital as a whole functions and the basic concepts of orthopedics.

No comments:

Post a Comment