Monday 9 October 2017

WHAT MAKES A GREAT SUPERVISING PHYSICIAN - The search for a new job

Hello everyone, I stumbled upon my blog and realized people are still reading it. It made 100,000 views!!



I’ve recently started a new job. On the search to finding my new position I realized how important the PA-physician relationship is to a happy work life. 

So.. what makes a great supervising physician from Eden’s (My) perspective

1. Being able to work as a team - treated as a colleague than just an employee 

2. Being approachable – to be able to ask questions if needed

3. Teaching when able – especially at the beginning of a new job or as a new PA. Acknowledging the PA's background including limitations and previous work experience. Being able to fill the gaps in a respectable way.

4. Treated as not only a clinician but as a person – for me lunch/coffee dates are great to get to know each other better and learn more about the person than the job title. This includes all health care co-workers, nurses, allied health, unit assistants, health care aids. 

I began searching for other opportunities as my commute, 50min one way (almost 2 hr drive per day), was becoming overwhelming especially with the crazy Winnipeg winters. They don’t call Winnipeg “Winterpeg” for nothing. 




The search for a good fit was more difficult than the first time. As a fresh PA the priority was to find a job and start paying off that student debt. The second time around it became more focused on who you will be working with and how much the employer will invest in teaching you. I was lucky that when I graduated PA school my first position provided both.  I compared it as a marriage as you will be closely working with the physician and trust is very important both ways. This time you think more about what area you will be working in and how much autonomy you would like. Also job longevity begins to play a factor as I begin to think of having a family and stability. 

Take home points - looking for a job 

1. Find an area you like to work in and determine what role you would play.

2. Find physicians who are invested in you as I discussed above. Our role is very much determined by our supervising physician and how much they are willing to teach and give autonomy.

3. Can you see yourself working there for 5, 10, 15 years? Does the job fit with your future goals?

Luckily I found a position at the same hospital that my fiancé works at. No more driving for me!! Now I get to sleep in the car when he drives me to work :P


More on my new job soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment